Dec 17, 2009

Eye of the Storm An Interview with Explosive Pro Wrestling’s Davis Storm.

Our friends over at Westside Pro Wrestling did a great interview with Davis Storm recently. With their permission we are re-posting this interview. To keep up with the all the news, results and info on the Western Australian wrestling scene, subscribe to westsideprowrestling@hotmail.com.


The Ironman of Australian Wrestling, two time EPW champion and eight year veteran of the West Australian Pro Wrestling scene talks to Tez Himself about his long and illustrious career.

WPW: Can you tell us about the early years of Davis Storm and Explosive Coastal Wrestling and what it was like to be part of the rebirth of Local Wrestling in Perth?

STORM: I could probably write a whole article just on this topic but I think the early days of Explosive Coastal Wrestling and Davis Storm were quite similar. A work in progress. It was an incredibly exciting time as we were breaking new ground. Locally produced pro wrestling had been absent from Perth for over 15 years. We had a really rough start in our first two shows but I have no regrets as its all led us to where we are today.

WPW: In early 2002, some Explosive Coastal Wrestling talent including yourself went to South Australia to train with Col Dervany, Jag and Havok. While over there you wrestled a few shows for now defunct federations Maximum Power Wrestling and Pro Wrestling South Australia. What was the experience like for a young wrestler new to the business and are there any stories you can share about the time?

STORM: I remember that trip being the most testing time I’ve ever had in wrestling. We were training 10 hours a day every day of the week. We were doing brutal cardio with a boxing coach, weights training and then wrestling for about five to six hours a day. Our bodies were broken down after one day but we had six weeks of full time training. No rest days. I remember everyone in Adelaide going out of their way to be as helpful as they could be. There are too many stories to recount them all, I just remember it all being an incredible learning curve and it was a huge turning point for EPW in terms of where we stood in Australian wrestling.

WPW: January 2005 saw the birth of the Ironman at Survival of the Fittest when you defeated Jag in a 1 hour Ironman Match, which was the first ever in the history of Australian Wrestling. At the time there were a few people that thought it couldn’t be pulled off. Just under 2 years later at Re-Awakening V it was voted the greatest match in Explosive Pro Wrestling’s history up until that time. What were your feelings leading up to the big match?

STORM: Depends on which day you caught me on. I had prepared as best I could so most days I was confident that I could physically make it through the hour. But it was brutally hot that summer and it was still a complete unknown as to whether we could make fans pay attention for an hour. I wanted it to be a match that just happened to go for an hour rather than a match where two guys are clearly trying to see out an hour. I put so much physically and mentally into that match. People see the hour as a big deal. As far as achievements go, I’d rather stand next to a good match than a match that went for an hour. Hopefully we achieved both.

WPW: In late 2005, early 2006 you trained and wrestled at the New Japan USA dojo. Do you have any desire to give it another crack over there with the success that Mikey Nicholls, Bobby Marshall and Shane Haste have had?

STORM: Getting the opportunity to train at the Inoki dojo was a privilege. Jushin Liger was my inspiration for wanting to wrestle and to get the chance to tread the boards where he had previously was an amazing feeling. Being trained by Kendo Ka Shin and Mr. Inoki himself was truly an honour and a humbling experience. Stepping into the ring each day along world class names like Fergal Devitt, Karl Anderson and Rocky Romero showed me what was required if I wanted become the wrestler I wanted to be. But I really wasn’t there to make a name for myself. I was there to learn and despite the wonderful success that the other lads have enjoyed, I still have no desire to pursue wrestling overseas.

WPW: You’ve had some classic encounters with Interstate Talent over the years including “Jag” Hartley Jackson and Carlo Cannon. Which Australian talent would you like to face off with in the future?

STORM: I don’t keep an eye on Australian talent like I used to but the only name that leaps out at me is Damian Slater. He’s been wrestling here in EPW for almost five years and we still haven’t had the chance to have a one on one match. To me, he is the barometer for Australian wrestling today.

WPW: You have been wrestling for eight years coming up in November. What have been some of your favourite moments and matches in your career so far?

STORM: Most of my favourite moments have probably taken place away from wrestling shows because they tend to get a little stressful but the aftermath of the brawl at Inner Turmoil was amazing. Absolute mayhem all over the building and the fans going crazy. My favourite matches are ones that most fans probably don’t even remember. My two timed rounds matches with Brad West. Brad is probably one of my favourite guys to wrestle and I think he’s probably the most underrated mind in Australian wrestling. Dooley and I taking on GST in a tables match at Settling the Score was a match where I was able to just get lost in the moment. My recent match with Sebastian Sander was a lot of fun for me. I think his potential is just about unlimited and he has a huge future. But I think my best match is my Falls Count Anywhere match with Jimmy Payne. We’ve had a lot of matches that I rate but that one was special as it was Jim’s last singles match at the time. I’m really proud of that one.

WPW: The NWA Australian National Championship hasn’t been seen in Explosive Pro Wrestling since Mikey Nicholls lost it to Hartley Jackson in April 2008. Could we see Davis Storm in the future go over to Adelaide and bring the belt back to where it was born?

STORM: I think with the recent name change of EPW Adelaide to NWA Pro, we may have seen the last of the NWA Australian title in Perth. BUT, never say never.

WPW: What type of injuries have you suffered over your career?


STORM: I carry a lot of injuries that just don’t go away but that’s just part of what we do. The two worst I’ve had came one after the other in 2008. I first cracked my tailbone at Evolution against Jimmy. Although I’d say I’m over that now, it still bothers me to this day. Straight after getting over that, I broke my wrist. I first cracked it in the six man street fight but after not seeing a doctor, I officially broke it about six or seven weeks later. I had to convince the doctor to cut the cast off a week early so I could compete in the cage match last Re-Awakening.

WPW: Re-Awakening 8 is approaching very quickly. What does Re-Awakening mean to Davis Storm?

STORM: It is truly a celebration of what professional wrestling means to those involved in EPW. I have had some of my greatest moments at this show. I just have an emotional connection with it that I can’t explain. To perform at Re-Awakening is unlike anything else I have experienced in Australian wrestling and it gets the very best out of the best.

WPW: What are your future goals for both yourself and Explosive Pro Wrestling?

STORM: Just to be the best I can be. Same for EPW. I just want to continue to improve and enjoy the ride along the way. The day wrestling doesn’t bring a smile to my face will be the last day I lace up my boots.

WPW: Thank you for taking the time to talk to Westside Pro Wrestling, Davis.

STORM: My pleasure.

No comments:

Twitter

Jay Cal’s View

Accepting Donations -- Thank You For You Visiting

top